[MUD-Dev] The reality of constant combat??

Ling K.L.Lo-94 at student.lut.ac.uk
Tue Jun 3 20:50:18 CEST 1997

On Mon, 2 Jun 1997, Jeff Kesselman wrote:

This isn't really my field.  I'll make a comment anyway.

> While PvP migth make an engaging tactical game (ala Doom, Duke, Diku or
> whatever) I'ld argue that if you are trying to model a society you need to
> put STRICT "legal" controls on where and when it is allowed with
> devistationg consequences to the rbeaking of the rules.

I had an argument with a friend for a few hours about this.  He, being
more intellectually pure than me (I'm rough around the edges), put forward
that the purpose of life is to have pleasure.  Therefore one should also
spread pleasure and exploitation of others, including animals, is an Evil.
My argument is that I didn't give a damn as long as I enjoyed myself even
at the expense of others.  The only reason I didn't go around killing
people on the street for fun is coz of comeback... I'd get arrested.

My belief is that this applies to practically everyone.  Especially your
average Joe Public.  Applying this to muds, I think the comeback should be
quite high if someone murders someone else.

PS:  I don't really wanna kill people on the street.
PPS: To list owner, Alex is a friend.

  |    Ling
_O_O_  Freshwater fish since 1976