[MUD-Dev] The reality of constant combat??

Jon A. Lambert jlsysinc at ix.netcom.com
Tue Jun 3 02:43:39 CEST 1997

> From: Jeff Kesselman <jeffk at tenetwork.com>
>
> Its often assumed that combat is a logical problem solver ina MUD
> environment. I'ld lvoe to hear any genuine historians on thsi lsit address
> this, but from my understanding there has NEVER been a human societhy that
> remained a society for teribly long where the answer to every problem or
> offense  9or even the majority of them) was mortal combat.

Sparta comes to mind as well as other less famous Greek timocracies.
Social and political position were determined primarily by combat skill,
both physical and mental aspects.  The entire life of a Spartan revolved
around combat no matter what their position in the city.  Trial by
combat was often used, it was not often mortal though.  But punishments
for many crimes was severe and often death.

Many of the Germanic tribes, the Franks, solved the all of their legal
disputes through combat and it was often mortal.

Both of these societies flourished more or less longer than our
present day culture.

> While PvP migth make an engaging tactical game (ala Doom, Duke, Diku or
> whatever) I'ld argue that if you are trying to model a society you need to
> put STRICT "legal" controls on where and when it is allowed with
> devistationg consequences to the rbeaking of the rules.

I believe this can be done.  I an interested in modeling multiple social/
cultural/political structure within the same mud.  Not a single
mud system of government where laws are consistent across all areas.
You can't assume that justice or fairness will be perceived the same
way by any player.  Some will gravitate toward Sparta, some Athens.

JL

-
"If I'd known it was harmless, I would have killed it myself"
*- Through a Scanner Darkly - PKD -*