[MUD-Dev] RP: TIime to define

Jeff Kesselman jeffk at tenetwork.com
Sun Jun 1 14:14:40 CEST 1997

At 10:31 AM 6/1/97 PST8PDT, you wrote:
>This "true RP" thing is getting more and more off putting each time I read
>a new post referring to it.

*** sigh ***

Look.  A Rolls Royce is fun, a Ferrari is fun.  They reant fun in teh same
way and they don't attract the same kidns of people.

The problem here is that the term Roleplay has been badly abused in the
past such that peopel who really aren't INTERESTED in Roleplay take offense
when told that they DON'T roleplay.

Alomst ALL Pen and Paper games star twith a definition of Roleplay, and
they are all about the same...  Allow mme to quote from a section of the
AD&D players handbook.  Thsi is the game that defined role-play game. I
erpsonally think its therfor a definitive work.

If you don't maqtch the below, you may be a terrific gamer, but you are NOT
a role-play gamer.

THE GOAL:
Another major difference between role-playing games and other games is the
ultimate goal.  Everyone assuems that a game has abeginning, and a middle,
and the end comes when someone wins. This does not apply to role-playing
because noone "wins" in a role-playing game.  The point of the game is not
to win but to have fun and socialize.

An adventure usually has a goal of some sort; protect the villagers from
the monsters; rescure the lost princess; explore the ancient ruins.
Typicly this goal can be obtained in a reasonable playign time; four to
eight hours is standard.  This may require the players to get togetherfro
one, two, or even three playing session to reach their goal and complete
their adventure.

But the game does not end when an adventure is finished.  The same
characters go on to new adventures.  Such a series of adventures is called
a campaign.

Remember the point is not to win but to have fun while workign  toward a
common goal.

 It seems to be too fake, especially over a