[MUD-Dev] Alright... IF your gonan do DESIESE...

Jeff Kesselman jeffk at tenetwork.com
Sun Jun 1 13:17:32 CEST 1997

At 09:42 AM 6/1/97 PST8PDT, you wrote:
>On Wed 28 May, Jeff Kesselman wrote:
>> At 11:25 PM 5/27/97 PST8PDT, you wrote:
>> >[Chris L:]

>> When judging a pen and paper game, the best judges berak danger down into
>> two things... eprceievd danger and real danger...
>
>thank you for pointing this out. I've never thought about this entire
>subject. Would you mind if I eventually write something about this on
>the pages for the overlord projekt? I think that more awareness about
>this difference can benefit many games.

Feel free. :)  The particvualr formulation is mien but the concept is well
known, if nto always conciously thought of.  Nothing propriaary here :)

>> Raal danger should be rellatively small the vast majority of the time... if
>> a reasonable player plays reasonably well they shoudl coem out okaty...
>> at the same time Perceieved Danger MUST peak relatively high from time to
>> time. Without the perception of real and present danger there can be no
>> such thing as real heroics... and you cannot reach the tension level
>> necessary for a truely enjoyable experience.
>
>> Now HOW you do thsi in an AUTOMATED session in such a way taht the player
>> never catches wise is an interestign and problematic question...
>
>Maybe you can have the perceived danger and the real danger coincide  more
>or less, but give the players plenty of opportunity to back out gracefully
>if they belief themselves in something over their head.

<dragon example deleted>

Interesting idea. Seirra's The Realm does soemthing like this.,
Unfortunately its too EASY to escape any danger you fidn yo ucan't happen.
The game ahs a real problem that perceieved danger is too low...

Now, IF when you encounter the Dragon there is osme % chance it MIGHT jump
you...  that might raise tension without TOO much actual danger...

I'll have to think more on this :)

JK