[MUD-Dev] Stories?

Matt Chatterley root at mpc.dyn.ml.org
Sun Jul 27 21:45:45 CEST 1997

On Sun, 27 Jul 1997, Marian Griffith wrote:

> Date: Fri, 09 May 1997 16:51:45 +0100 (BST)
> From: Marian Griffith <gryphon at iaehv.nl>
> Subject: Stories that mud/mushes are base on?
>

> Hello everybody,
>
> I'm looking for my homepage for (famous) stories/series that have been used
> to base a mud on. Preferably muds or mushes with a certain amount of role-
> playing.
> So far I have a page dedicated to Anne McCaffrey's 'Dragonriders of Pern'
> series and Robert Jordan's 'Wheel of Time' series. And a page about
> 'The Lord of the Rings' is in the making. I don't doubt that there
> are many more series about worlds that inspired somebody into creating a
> game set in that world. A (partial) list of muds based on a particular
> novel or world would be welcome too.

Pern is certainly a popular one - Tolkien to a lesser extent,
surprisingly, and WoT increasingly. There is one official 'Rift' game
based on Feist's works that I know of, too.

A number of games draw on elements of Moorcock's work (several lame muds
are named after parts, probably because the gods thought Stormbringer was
a cool sword!), but I know of none solely based upon any of his books.

Of course, series wise, Star Wreck is ludicrously popular, and there are
several B5 games (although I have the dubious accolade of having started
the very first one).

The World of darkness RPG system is also ridiculously popular (although
quite a good system), with some 70 odd games based in various parts of it
around.

There are at least a handful of Star Wars games, and at one point there
was a game based around the Narnia Chronicles.

Thats all which actually leaps to mind - although I may attempt publishing
some of the stuff I'm writing for Caffeine at some point. Who knows.

Regards,
	-Matt Chatterley
	http://user.itl.net/~neddy/index.html
"Doublethink means the power of holding two contradictory beliefs in one's
	mind simultaneously, and accepting both of them." -George Orwell