[MUD-Dev] Multi-threaded programming under Linux

Jeff Kesselman jeffk at tenetwork.com
Tue Jul 22 23:18:44 CEST 1997

At 11:14 PM 7/22/97 PST8PDT, you wrote:
>[Cynbe:]
>
>[Roll-your-own threads]
>
>:You pays yer money and you takes yer choice :).
>
>Yep!
>
>The big problem with not using OS-level threads is that you only get
>to have one system call active at a time in your whole program. With

Related to this, most multi-processor systems share thinsg out on a thread
level, one system process ends up meaning you cna only use one processor..

I knwo for a afct this is very true under Solaris and woudl expect tyhe
same under WinNT...

Jeff Kesselman

>OS-level threads, you can have several threads actively doing system
>calls. That lets you have threads updating your on-disk database or
>something, at the same time as other threads are doing socket calls.
>
>--
>Chris Gray   cg at ami-cg.GraySage.Edmonton.AB.CA

Jeff Kesselman
Snr. Game Integration Engineer
TEN -- The Total Entertainment Network -- www.ten.net

Speak Geek!