[MUD-Dev] "short" Introductory Message (fwd)

clawrenc at cup.hp.com clawrenc at cup.hp.com
Thu Jul 17 17:44:58 CEST 1997

In <Pine.GSO.3.96.970717005657.9947K-100000 at dryslwyn>, on 07/16/97
   at 08:16 PM, Martin Keegan <martin at cam.sri.com> said:

>On Tue, 1 Jul 1997 clawrenc at cup.hp.com wrote:

>[mana stuff snippee]

Such cavalier editing!  Such catholic willingness to elide text!

>The magic system I'm working towards is based on "primitive" animism.
>Basically, living things have a life force which can be tapped and
>turned into magical power of various persuasions. Combining this with
>a levels-based spells system is proving difficult. I think the latter
>will have to be axed.

What happens when a player taps a life form's energy?  Does it die?
Is it reduced in some manner?  How is it reduced?  What are the
states, long term effects (penalties and benefits (eg does a
many-times tapped body get stronger or weaker?)), and mechanical
strictures?  Does distance control tapping power?  Or does some sort
of harmonic relation?  Is there a concept of disharmonious (even
conflicting) energies?

Details man!  Details!

>I've also flirted with the idea of magical force lines found in
>Robert Asprin's amusing Myth series.

cf Ley lines?

Any choice on the source of said energy?  Can said source be
manipulated or can the Ley lines be manipulated?  Are Ley lines
directional (ie upstream/downstream)?  Will tapping a Ley line at one
point reduce or effect upstream or downstream tappers/users?  How
about a packet form where packets of "energy" traverse the topology of
the Ley Lines in a predictable manner (and timing) so the task is to
intercept the packet on the correct Ley line at the right moment.

  Bubba fights the mighty wizard!

  Bubba is being slaughtered!

  Using the last of his strength Bubba maneuvers the fight so he's
  standing on the Ley line.

  A magic surge hits the Ley Line!

  Bubba's magic fireball ***OBLITERATES*** the mighty wizard and
  half the world along with it!  Millions of players die instantly.

  Bubba has a really bad headache.

J C Lawrence                           Internet: claw at null.net
(Contractor)                           Internet: coder at ibm.net
---------------(*)               Internet: clawrenc at cup.hp.com