[MUD-Dev] "short" Introductory Message (fwd)

Martin Keegan martin at cam.sri.com
Thu Jul 17 01:05:07 CEST 1997

On Tue, 1 Jul 1997 clawrenc at cup.hp.com wrote:

[mana stuff snippee]

>   Mana is always created in equal quantities of -ve and +ve particles.
>
>   When -ve and +ve mana meet, they mutually self-destruct.  There is
> no net effect or energy return (currently).
>
>   Magical objects consume mana of a particular sign (or ratio of
> signs).
>
>   Should there be insufficient mana for an object to consume, a
> magical object will decay and self desctruct.
>
>   Magic activities consumes mana of a specific sign (or ratio of
> signs).

The magic system I'm working towards is based on "primitive" animism.
Basically, living things have a life force which can be tapped and turned
into magical power of various persuasions. Combining this with a
levels-based spells system is proving difficult. I think the latter will
have to be axed.

I've also flirted with the idea of magical force lines found in Robert
Asprin's amusing Myth series.

> >> Surely this must be at least 2RP per day.  One for Boffo and
> >> one for Bubba.  Player characters might not want to keep all their
> >> eggs in one basket.
> >
> >Hmm ... if I had this system, the houses would gain the RPs, rather
> >than individual PCs.
>
> This prevents a character from competing against members of his own
> house (possibly as played by others).

Yes. This is intentional. The house shall not divide.

Mk