[MUD-Dev] Supporting RP+PG

Jon A. Lambert jlsysinc at ix.netcom.com
Thu Jul 3 16:25:58 CEST 1997

> From: Miroslav Silovic <silovic at srce.hr>
> To: mud-dev at null.net
> Subject: [MUD-Dev]  Supporting RP+PG
> Date: Wednesday, July 02, 1997 10:32 PM
>
> Assuming that you insist on keeping linear scaler. Now let's tackle your
> example from another viewpoint: let's completely ditch the idea of
> hit points. Instead, give attributes to each would: pain level, bleeding
> level, location on the body, exposure of the flesh. Use only discrete
> values for each: low, medium, high for bleed/pain/exposure. Then expand
> the idea of location to include not just torso/limbs, but specific organs
> and muscle groups. Now keep lists of the wounds.

I have attempted to accomplish some of these goals (see my Wear Location
post).  The humanoid body has 28 discreet locations which any number of
descriptive wounds may be attached to.  Wounds can prohibit wearing of
equipment or exercising the limb/organ.  I categorize wounds into blood/
muscle/bone/organ/nerve groups.  This interfaces nicely with healing
spells/herbal treatments which are specific and specialized.
Blood loss is implemented, but pain is not (at least not directly).

I still keep hit points as a global value.  HP is the sum of concussion
and blood points.  Each wound subtracts from this.  A wound may also cause
immediate death or unconsciousness without regard to HP totals.  You could
say that its more likely for a character to die from wounds than HP loss.
The percentage of HP loss is reflected in negative modifiers to all
actions/activity so in a sense pain is covered abstractly.

I guess I have a hard time reconciling the effects of the sum-of-parts.
There are systems were HPs are subdivided into body/organ parts but I see
these as having other flaws.  I see these as more conducive to amputations
than keeping a global tally with discreet location effects.

There have been some interesting posts from the ER perspective on this and
I am considering some sort of way to implement shock effectively within
my current system.

> Result is that you can TELL that player can't do something because his
> biceps is hurting too much because of the would he got from serrated
> orcish sword, which while nonvital hurts like heck and tends to reopen
> and bleed. And healers would have to treat each wound separately, applying
> procedure according to the wound. Of course, this would enlarge the player
> objects, but... it'd do so far less than tracking who-knows-who that some
> LPMUDs do.
>
> Incidentally, this wound-tracking system has an advantage that player
> would have VERY specific idea that his character is in pain, and would
> think twice before getting into any sort of combat - remember, while
> you don't have to die, incapacitating wound can kick you out of the
> loop for days.
>
> Also, I think that player should /not/ necessarily know whether his
> character can or can not do something until he tries it - you don't know
> in RL, either.

I am attempting to give my characters a best guess at this.

There is a 20' wide chasm here.  On the other side is a narrow ledge.
# jump chasm
This action appears to be absurdly difficult.
Do you wish to attempt it?
# no
# remove all armor
You remove your chainmail, greaves and leggings.
# jump chasm
This action appears to be extremely difficult.
Do you wish to attempt it?
# yes
You jump the chasm.  You come within 4 feet of the ledge.
You plummet to your death...

Note the way difficulty is determined based upon current character
condition, skill being exercised and the task at hand.  The question
prompt only kicks in at a "moderate difficulty" rating.  Sort of a
safety valve for foolishness.   Characters can still use a 'consider'
command before attempting a task.

# consider wear boots
This action would appear to be routine.
# wear boots
You try to put on the boots.  You slip and fall.
You have sustained a major concussion to the head.
You slip into unconsciousness.

In the above case the action appeared to be routine, but actually was
moderately hard.  The character was not informed of this through the
consider command because they were under the influence of black krrf,
a highly addicting and hallucinogenic herb (best when smoked in a hookah).
This is an exception to the reliability of consider. :)

JL