[MUD-Dev] RP=MUSH/PG=MUD

Tue Jul 1 10:41:21 CEST 1997

[Chris L:]

:I presume you are writing of the model where there is a stnadard (and
:pretty well consistant with the current telnet-style) text window
:around which are assoicated graphical gee-gaws, such as an image of
:the character's body to and from which may be dragged iconic
:representations of EQ to implement the "wear" and "take off"
:semantics, or images of the various containters (sack,s bags, chests,
:pouches etc), from which objects may be similarly addded or removed?
:Other simple extensions would have animated images of objects which
:could be explored graphically with the results displayed in the text
:window and/or on the object itself.  Next up is the ubiquitous sound
:-- something I think is a generically All Round Bad Idea for MUDs,

Well, there doesn't have to be pretty pictures of everything (otherwise
there is no way I could produce such an interface!). I think the real
need is for a point-and-click way of doing most common things. Even if
it *is* slower than the typing method, for us fast typists. My goal is to
make my keyboard-impaired friend able to play the game and enjoy it (he
isn't aware of this of course!) The first obvious step is movement and
looking around. Next would come the common verbs applied to objects in
the room and inventory. [Question: presumeably only "visible" objects
would be available for clicking, and non-visible or scenery objects
would have to be typed in - is there any better way?]

Sound: I've added a minimum of sound to my system (went out and bought
some sound-effects CDs). Surprisingly, I find I like it a lot. Even
fairly cheesy sounds can heighten the sense of involvement in the world.
If the user doesn't want them, they can be turned off.

:Full graphical rendering of the MUD world loses an incredible set of
:values from the flat text version.  I'm not sure if I know how to
:avoid that.  A key problem is that an increasing percentage of players
:are both unable and actively unwilling to read or type (not always
:poor education -- think foreigners as well).  Whether we actually want
:to encourage such to play our games is another question.

I think its clear that those people will eventually have a MUD-ish
game of some sort that they can play. Why shouldn't it be one of ours?
Sure, we can choose to not cater to those folks, but I think it is
important to not make judgements on a game until you've used it. I now
find it very difficult to play a MUD with just a text interface - it is
just so much, well, harder!

--
Chris Gray   cg at ami-cg.GraySage.Edmonton.AB.CA