[MUD-Dev] A simple political/social system?

Jon A. Lambert jlsysinc at ix.netcom.com
Tue Jul 1 00:35:22 CEST 1997

Thought I'd change to the thread to something beyond the intro..

> From: clawrenc at cup.hp.com
> Subject: [MUD-Dev] "short" Introductory Message (fwd)
>
> In <199706260350.WAA23128 at dfw-ix6.ix.netcom.com>, on 06/25/97
>    at 09:46 PM, "Jon A. Lambert" <jlsysinc at ix.netcom.com> said:
>
> >> From: clawrenc at cup.hp.com
>
> >This is very very very interesting.  It seems to be a nearly
> >fixed/finite pie of RPs.  Not quite fixed because it will fluctuate
> >with the number of players in the game.  Perhaps it needs a bit of
> >mathematical work to make it sound.
>
> <<Diplomacy: A game that fascinates me, but also one I've never gotten
> to play.>>

Try <http://www.csn.net/~mhand/DipPouch/> for a more info.  A couple of
years ago I was involved in 8 email games at a time.  I've cut it back to
just 1 at a time.

> >> A simple model:
> >>
> >>   Player characters can award each other "rank points" (RP).
> >>
> >>   Each player character is given (free) 1RP per day.
>
> >Surely this must be at least 2RP per day.  One for Boffo and one for
> >Bubba.  Player characters might not want to keep all their eggs in
> >one basket.
>
> That's a possible extension.  Ut in essence it really just multiplies
> all the values by two.  I'd be more interested in rolling into the
> gradated RP earnings as I just posted to JeffK.  (Tho I suspect the
> one RP per hour limit needs accellerating)

Yes I like this better.  Of course you could tie it into character
levels. *wink*

Whoa!  Hang on.  I see a whole cluster of skills related to modification
or maintenance of RPs!

Pulling out the book of rolemaster (read - my mind is suddenly clouded)

While some of these have other applications.  I can see some of these
having influence on single NPCs and masses of NPCs (simpeeps?, see below)

Influence skill category.
   Bribery...a single NPC
   Duping...both single and masses of NPCs
   Interrogation.. hmm maybe not - just thought I list them all
   Leadership...the masses
   Propaganda...the masses
   Public Speaking...the masses
   Seduction...a single NPC
   Trading...both single and the masses

> >Q. Are there any other ways to obtain RPs and still keep the pool
> >relatively fixed?
>
> NPC's?

Perhaps another use for Wout's rolled up population-in-a-box.  Did Nathan
mention this already (no matter)  The power of the Simpeep might make its
presence felt.  And of course individual heavyweight NPCs throwing their
influence around.  Sphere's of influence need to be defined.  The Athens
simpeep would have no influence into Sparta.  Perhaps this "sphere of
influence" is a neighborhood (see that other thread!)

More question(s): How does one influence NPCs or simpeeps-in-a-box?
It would seem to boil down to some level of character "visibility"
with the peeps.  It may be fame, reputation, etc; Both good and bad.
With the NPCs, if you store reaction info about the last n' encounters,
the NPC may have enough info to pick a favorite.  Successful execution of
special skills above might factor into the equation.

> >>   A player character with sufficient RPs can be automagically
> >>   promoted to a high status position.
>
> >Perhaps multiple players might contend and bid up the cost of of
> >entering position.
>
> Good idea.  You then of course enter the spectre of bought positions
> with all its host of favouritism and cronyism (well, they were there
> before, but you've added more support for them).

Yes, but doesn't this "bad" sort of cronyism come from higher up the food
chain, the wizs/imps?  Keeping the backstabbing and politics at the player
level would divert their attention from our invisible tyrannical rule. :)
The character power question becomes less a 'combat' one here.  The
greatest warrior on the mud, might have feeble skills in this area.  It would
be nice to have them around to thwart an assassination attempt.  Or..

Boffo for dogcatcher... endorsed by Bubba the famous troll.

Sidenote: I don't like the idea of voting booths..Alien to my game world.
How might one spend these RPs?  Through just allocating them? hrrmm...

> >Q. Should the numbers of positions be fixed?  Can there only be one
> >city mayor?  Are we talking about a general or specific
> >status/position?
>
> I don't see any reason it couldn't be used for all sorts of things
> from city guards, police, mayors, kings, earls, heads of guilds, etc.

I would still start with a fixed pie in a given "sphere of influence" or
neighborhood.  Initially the game would have NPCs occupying these positions.
Addition of player RPs as variable pieces of the RP pie.
The NPCs would of course use their own RP points from the position to
maintain control.  Perhaps NPC programs could be entirely devoted toward
maintaining RPs.  Make the balance of power flow naturally toward NPCs,
if player involvement is not maintained.
I think there is a real simple stable equation lurking in here.

Have to think on it. Need sleep.

JL