The morality of logfiles [was 'Wild west']

Greg Munt greg at uni-corn.demon.co.uk
Sat Dec 27 02:46:38 CET 1997

> JC Lawrence wrote:
> >
> > On Sat, 20 Dec 1997 19:20:57 GMT "Jon A. Lambert"
> > <jlsysinc at ix.netcom.com> wrote:
> >
> > > I do NOT believe the logging of communications to be an immoral
> > > action at all.  However, some possible actions taken on this
> > > information CAN be immoral.  Any actions taken on log information
> > > should be done with the with the highest regard to privacy, ethics
> > > and morals.
> >
> > Another approach of courae has making all logs public and
> > un-editable.  It then becomes difficult to define any action derived
> > from log contents as improper as that data is know "in the puiblic
> > domain" as it were.

Some logs are too sensitive to be made public (logs of private
conversations, etc - these may need to be kept private IC - as Vadim has
stated, in another post).

What this all comes down to is the trustworthiness of the administration.
There is a simple answer to this. If you don't trust the admin, either
live with it, or stop playing.

It's that simple.