[MUD-Dev] The impact of the web on muds

##Make Nylander thenewt at use.usit.net
Thu Dec 25 18:42:44 CET 1997

[Original message sent by Mike Sellers]
| >|
| >	For me, the idea of a graphics-only MUD has always sounded like
| >	"we invented video tape, now let's burn all the books!".
|
| Let's not have the graphical people telling the text
| people they're geek-dinosaurs and the text people accusing the graphical
| people of having no imagination or making other patronizing comments.
| >	There's plenty of room on the net for graphical MUDs, and they're
| >	probably a lot more appealing to the Nintendo generation than
| >	traditional text-based MUDs. But for people like me, who've grown
| >	up playing RPGs, the representation of the game world is of no
| >	importance, since we've already got the best medium of all available:
| >	our imagination.
|
| Okay, ignoring the patronizing nature of this paragraph, let me just point

	How am I being patronizing? I stated my opinion, I didn't claim
	the original poster was wrong. In his post, Greg Munt implied that
	most people play text MUDs because they don't know anything better,
	I'm saying that most people are well aware of possibilities of
	the Web, but also acknowledge the economical and technical limitations.
	I like GUIs, I like pretty graphics, and IMO if you're planning to make
	a career out of coding MUDs, graphics are the only way to go. BUT,
	producing a graphical MUD takes a lot of time and money, and
	until someone can run something akin to Ultima Online free of charge,
	there'll be aplenty of people who'll be quite happy to suffer the
	limitations of text-only interface just to be able to play for free.

--
I never regret my failures, but I regret every missed opportunity.