[MUD-Dev] OT: Books

Nathan Yospe yospe at hawaii.edu
Wed Dec 24 00:10:50 CET 1997

On Thu, 18 Dec 1997, Matt Chatterley wrote:

:> The 2nd Highlander film should be ignored completely - it only makes sense
:> if you see the highly editted version of Highlander that the Americans saw.
:> Basically they removed all the plot, charactisation and just made it into a
:> full action movie.  McCloud lost all of his past etc. and so they were able
:> to make one up for the 2nd film.

I saw no such thing - the first Highlander movie was the same one as on the
other side of the pond(s), the second was $#!+...

:Yeah; which is a shame. I have heard rumours of a new film, starring
:Adrian Paul from the TV series though, which could be promising.
:Especially if they let him direct it, since his talents seem to lie in a
:combination of acting and directing (see the latter episodes from the
:5th/6th series which he directed; they are some of the very best).

Not one of those made-for-TV movies, was it? There've been two or three. (One
was a crossover between the movie McCloud and the TV cousin.)

:> as T.P. - at least that is what people have told me.

:Pratchett is one of the great modern authors in the genre. Well, after a
:fashion. The spoofs on RoboCop in 'Feet of Clay' caused me to spill a cup
:of tea. "We can rebuild him, we have the pottery!" and "Undead or alive,
:you are coming with me." were particularly notable lines.

*sputter* Missed annotation, and I don't even get it from AFP... of all the
places...

:> - The Xanth series: Piers Anthony.
:> Likewise, very funny.  Putting puns in a mud would probably be a bad idea,
:> but humour definitely is.

:Never read any PA, but I think I may now I have heard the praises herein
:(from several folks).

Its really not that good. Particularly the last five or six years worth.
Some of Anthony's work, on the opther hand... I have to admit to having
stolen the theme I used for my first mud (Beyond the Veil of Shadows) in
minor form from his Adept series. No characters or specifics, but the veil
was certainly reminicent of the curtain...

:> - Master of the Five Magics: (can't remember who wrote it)
:> I like this mainly for the detailed magic system.

:Another book well worth the read for some very interesting and original
:ideas is "To your Scattered Bodies go", the first of the Riverworld series
:by Philip Jose Farmer.

Particularly the suicide exploration and the question of degradation over
iterations. Might be interesting in a mud.
--

"You? We can't take you," said the Dean, glaring at the Librarian.
"You don't know a thing about guerilla warfare." - Reaper Man,