[MUD-Dev] OT: Books

coder at ibm.net coder at ibm.net
Mon Dec 22 22:47:48 CET 1997

On 18/12/97 at 10:43 PM, Matt Chatterley <root at mpc.dyn.ml.org> said: >On
Wed, 17 Dec 1997, Maddy wrote:

>> [Lengthy discussion about the Dune books]
>> > And the film was *dire*!
>>
>> Actually I liked the film - it helps if you disassociate the book from it
>> and treat it as a seperate thing.

The Dune film had for me one extremely notable point:  They used the sound
track and only the sound track to carry the pacing and continuity for the
entire movie.  Turn the sound off and the movie falls apart into a
collection of fractionally related scenes.  Put it back on and all of a
sudden it starts back together, items relate, a plot starts to appear,
there is continuity, etc.

Dune actually isn't a bad movie for all that, tho I would have much
preferred to have seen it with the original classical sound track.  You
just need to watch it in its own right, as a happenstance similar to the
books, not a version of the book.

Re: Highlander.

>> > The third was reasonable as a 'run of the mill action movie', something
>> > which I counted the original above. This is the trouble with sequels - you
>> > compare them to the originals, and they have generally lost the sparkle.
>>
>> The 2nd Highlander film should be ignored completely - it only makes sense
>> if you see the highly editted version of Highlander that the Americans saw.
>> Basically they removed all the plot, charactisation and just made it into a
>> full action movie.  McCloud lost all of his past etc. and so they were able
>> to make one up for the 2nd film.

I'll confess to finding all the Highlander movies and TV productions, err,
I think the term used above was "dire".  They are excruciatingly terrible
and hackneyed.

>> - The Xanth series: Piers Anthony.
>> Likewise, very funny.  Putting puns in a mud would probably be a bad idea,
>> but humour definitely is.

I lived up the road from him in Florida FWLIW.

J C Lawrence                               Internet: claw at null.net
----------(*)                              Internet: coder at ibm.net