[MUD-Dev] Mail from mud

Brandon Gillespie brandon at roguetrader.com
Mon Dec 22 10:17:16 CET 1997

On Mon, 22 Dec 1997, Miroslav Silovic wrote:
> Stephen Zepp <zoran at enid.com> writes:
>
> > Heyas...gonna ask for a little technical info here.  I would like to
> > have my code be able to send a mail message to the player, using a
> > stored email address, but I'm not too sure how to go about
> > constructing a valid message/header, etc.  Anyone done this, or
> > something similar?  I was thinking of somehow writing a file, then
> > sending a command to the shell from the mud queueing the mail for
> > delivery, but I really am not sure how to do that..
>
> Well, Cold has $smtp object that does all the foo. Basically, the
> cleanest way is to read the RFC on SMTP protocol and then implement
> the bloody thing. :) I think LambdaMOO also has email object in the
> core. Both cores are available for download (and both systems have
> pretty readable internal languages).

And furthermore, ColdCore also is setup so you can have sendmail proxy
mail to the right port, so any mail sent to a dedicated internet hostname
is forwarded directly to the mud SMTP port (so you dont even have to bind
port 25).  For details on how the forwarding works go to:

    http://www.cold.org/sitenames.html

-Brandon Gillespie