[MUD-Dev] Introductions and

Richard Woolcock KaVir at dial.pipex.com
Sat Dec 20 03:32:09 CET 1997

Mike Sellers wrote:

> At 03:03 PM 12/14/97 PST8PDT, coder at ibm.net wrote:
> >>ok, better question, what if I want to name both of them bubba, in
> >>defference to their requests to be named as such?
> >
> >That's where the rub currently lies.  I don't have a solution I like yet.
> >The nickname etc type pattern I just suggested to Sellers might be an
> >acceptable solution.
>
> I have a cold, which might account for this evil thought:  if you allowed
> for this sort of naming, you could easily create a race of, say, fairly
> powerful but extremely contrary elves, each of whom *demands* that you call
> him or her "Zinfandel" -- and that you not call any *other* elves by this
> name.
>
> This could easily degenerate into a Buckaroo Banzai-like situation, with
> everyone named John <something>.  It could be confusing and frustrating,
> especially if your ability to tell these individuals apart was not perfect,
> but it could be amusing too ("Only *I* am Zinfandel.  All of these others
> are confused!" or "I'm not John Smallberries, I'm John Bigbooty!").

Hmmmm reminds me of the 'Bruce' Monty Python sketch (guy goes for an interview
for a job, and all three people working there are called Bruce.  They comment
on how confusing it would be to employ someone - ie him - who is not called
Bruce).

Perhaps each player should be allowed to give each other player a nickname
which would work along the lines of:

John "annoying git" Smith is standing here.
John "vicious killer" Smith is standing here.
John Smith is standing here.
John "dodgy bloke" Smith is sitting here.

At least this way if the player gets confused, it is their own fault ;)