[MUD-Dev] Wild west (was Guilds & Politics)

Matt Chatterley root at mpc.dyn.ml.org
Sat Dec 13 20:38:45 CET 1997

On Sat, 13 Dec 1997, Ola Fosheim Gr=F8stad wrote:

> Derrick Jones <gunther at online1.magnus1.com> wrote:
> >Personally, I'd make my selection, log _everything_ that player does for=
> >week or two (just to make sure), then invite the player to join the staf=
> >after the logs had been thorougly reviewed.  Time consuming, but you'll
> >get a lot better view of your potential staffers this way.
>=20
> I find logging everything without warning to be rather immoral.  In my
> country it would most likely be a crime.  Respecting players privacy
> is for me an unbreakable rule.  In a commercial system this should be
> paramount.
>=20
> (A nasty sideeffect is that rumours about admins snooping on players
> is likely to wreck player loyalty)

True on all counts. This is why I am likely to put a declaration in a
public place that administration may record any happenings within the
game, or secretly watch said happenings with no prior warning. Of course
I'll make sure to the best of my ability this is not abused, but I think
it is certainly necessary to be able to breach 'privacy' (when connecting
to a public game this is an interesting concept) if I feel it is
warranted.

Regards,
=09-Matt Chatterley
=09ICQ: 5580107
"I shall never believe that God plays dice with the world." -Einstein