[MUD-Dev] Introductions and

Adam Wiggins nightfall at user2.inficad.com
Sat Dec 13 16:32:10 CET 1997

[Stephen Zepp:]
> I am wondering about the inconviencience of walking into a store and
> seeing 20 different sword descriptions, 100 pieces of armor, and 35
> types of helmets...NONE with names until I "name" them...don't get me
> wrong, I like the idea, but ( I may have missed it ), couldn't _most_
> text style interaction have some sort of "auto-naming" convention to
> keep you from having to name 150 objects in a room that you may never
> see again?

You're confusing 'name' with description.  The situation you describe
should look like so:

 ] n
 You enter Arms 'R' Us.
 This is a large, bare room.  On one wall are mounted quite a few different
 swords.  On another wall there is a myriad of armor.  On a third wall are
 several dozen helmets.
 Bubba the shopkeeper is standing here.
 ] look swords
 There seem to be around 20 different swords.  Most of them are typical
 longswords, but you notice two particularly rusty swords, three short-swords,
 two claymores, and a rapier.
 ] get short
 You get a shortsword from the wall.
 Bubba says, 'That's an excellent weapon for any use.  Sold to me by an older
  hobbit fellow younger today, he said it served him quite well.'
 ] examine short
 You take a close look at the shortsword.
 It weighs around six stones.  The blade is about three handsbreath long.
 The hilt is wrapped in leather.  Delicate paterns are etched into the
 well-worn blade.  It could use some sharpening.
 ]
 Bubba says, 'Only fifty coppers for that fine item.'
 ] name sword Sting
 You will now call the shortsword 'Sting'.
 ] l in purse
 You have three copper pieces.
 ] doh
 ] return short
 You return the shortsword to its spot on the wall.
 Bubba says, 'You'll regret giving up such a bargain, my friend..'
 ] l
 This is a large, bare room.  On one wall are mounted quite a few different
 swords, one of which you recognize as the shortsword Sting.  On another
 wall there is a myriad of armor.  On a third wall are several dozen helmets.