[MUD-Dev] Introductions and

Stephen Zepp zoran at enid.com
Fri Dec 12 17:47:53 CET 1997

coder at ibm.net wrote:
[snip namespace virus explanation]
[snip "Mike by any other name" discussion]
> I don't encourage either that convenience or coincidence in my game.  I
> almost encourage the reverse.

I am wondering about the inconviencience of walking into a store and
seeing 20 different sword descriptions, 100 pieces of armor, and 35
types of helmets...NONE with names until I "name" them...don't get me
wrong, I like the idea, but ( I may have missed it ), couldn't _most_
text style interaction have some sort of "auto-naming" convention to
keep you from having to name 150 objects in a room that you may never
see again?

As an aside, I'm slowy developing this sort of namespace concept in my
estate code.  A player may have quite a few buildings that need to be
manned with workgroups, and no point-click ( well, not yet ) to assign
specific workgroups to specific buildings.  Basically, I allow them to
name "locations", which are just tags kept in their estate file pointing
to various rooms within the game.  AS I read more about this namespace
concept, I'm considering "allowing" it, instead of requiring
it...objects are still "sword" and "helmet", but can also be named
specifically within the player's information.

> --
> J C Lawrence                               Internet: claw at null.net
> ----------(*)                              Internet: coder at ibm.net
> ...Honourary Member of Clan McFud -- Teamer's Avenging Monolith...

P.S switched email progs, workin on getting the nametags in correctly,
pls be patient :))  Anyone that uses Netscape Communicator 4.04 out
there with any ideas, please email me :)