META: FAQ: Location, etc

s001gmu at nova.wright.edu s001gmu at nova.wright.edu
Fri Dec 12 16:09:34 CET 1997

hmmm.. brief blurb...

Name: Greg Underwood

Occupation: Foole  :P  Student, primariy, Simulation design Co-Op to pay
the bills. (as a side note, I am probably one of the younger members of
the list, weighing in at age 23)

Location: Dayton, Ohio, USA (yeah, the place where they had the Bosnia
Peace Talks a couple years back).

Projects/tendancies: I used to work on Diku/merc/rom derivatives,
specifically, Eternity of Discord.  (the code base of which has survived
in various forms under a couple of different names, which surprises the
heck out of me.. it sucks. :)
Currently working on a home-grown project with a friend who is currently
a lurker on the list.
The Major foci of the porject include a MUCH more realistic combat model
from Diku.  One of the key differences being one vs many combat results
in one very dead opponent very quickly, usualy.  A heavy magic world,
with a well defined metaphysics, which defines the physics of the world.
I have yet to post a summary of our metaphysics on here... been meaning
to.  :)  Other key features include the Event driver, Object oriented
nature of the program, mSQL relational database is what we're using for
info-management, and a non-io specific server, requireing a specialized
client to transform the data into something your terminal can display.
Rp is a nice side effect of the multi-player nature of the game, but it
is primarily a numbers/resource management game.  Pkill, with permadeath,
though they are slight misnomers, but good enough for now.  Leaning
heavily towards PC is _not_ all of the brains of the character
(self-preservation instincts will be coded), but has probably 90-95%
controll.

-Greg