[MUD-Dev] Guilds & Politics [was Affecting the World]

Matt Chatterley root at mpc.dyn.ml.org
Wed Dec 10 18:59:33 CET 1997

On Tue, 9 Dec 1997, Ola Fosheim Gr=F8stad wrote:

> Marian Griffith <gryphon at iaehv.nl> wrote:
> >But to answer your question. No. There is nothing inherently wrong with
> >being a jerk on a roleplaying game,  but only if you are actually role-
> >playing that jerk. There is a great deal wrong with -being- a jerk on a
> >roleplaying game.
>=20
> In some sense I agree, although I think most jerks are jerks because
> they view the game as DOOM.  It is however a bit difficult to tell
> whether they are a jerk or are trying to roleplay one, from the
> outside.  I guess one could rephrase my question as: Isn't it true
> that you invite people to act like jerks my calling your MUD a game or
> a roleplaying game?  Can you really blame them? :-)

No, it is not true! And it is also, at least by my definitions, to tell a
real jerk apart from someone who is trying to roleplay a jerk character.
Assuming we have a noted division between in and out of character (which
we would assumably have in a roleplaying environment), the jerk is someone
who acts such in *out of character circumstances* whereas the person
playing a jerk character would do the inverse.

[Snip]

Regards,
=09-Matt Chatterley
=09ICQ: 5580107
"I shall never believe that God plays dice with the world." -Einstein