[MUD-Dev] Wild west (was Guilds & Politics)

Maddy maddy at fysh.org
Wed Dec 10 16:14:36 CET 1997

Previously, s001gmu at nova.wright.edu wrote....
> On Mon, 8 Dec 1997, Alex Oren wrote:
>
> > On Sun, 7 Dec 1997 13:04:00 PST8PDT, Mike Sellers wrote:
>
> <snip being a Jerk vs. RPing a Jerk>
>

> > Got me thinking.
> >
> > How about dividing the mud into zones with more or less strict law enforcement
> > in each.
> >
> > For example, you'll have cities in which even the slightest perceived act of
> > stealing or violence will instantly set the town guard on your tail, post
> > "wanted" ads all over the place and in general make life miserable for you.
> > While at the same time, there will be areas in which free PK is the norm.
> >
> > Sort of localized governments or law-enforcement agencies.
> >
> > Another possibility is to have places where upholding the law is beneficial to
> > the players.  E.g.: forming a group and catching a "wanted" person gives the
> > members a nice reward (monetary or otherwise).
> >
> > In general, one would be able to concentrate on the MUD theme while in Castle
> > Krak(TM) and once in a while, when he/she feels like being a jerk, go to the
> > Crystalline Forest(TM) for some stealing/PK/whatever.
>
> The problem with this is that the 'jerks' are not going to WANT to harass
> ppl out in the wilds.  They're going to want to do it inside the city,
> and they are going to find a way to do it.  What makes you think you can
> enforce a behavior pattern within a city if you can't do it for an entire
> mud?  About the only thing I can see this system doing is isolating the
> areas where the 'jerks' behave like jerks to the cities.  The reason they
> are being jerks is because it goes against the expected behavior
> patterns.  If you tell them it's ok to go on killing sprees outside the
> city, but not ok in the city, the first place they are gonna go is town

The reason why it's so hard to enforce a no-kill zone at the moment, is that
in most muds you can be standing one room away from a fight and never know
it's happening.  Hence a city can be full of guards, but unless they're in
the same room they won't notice a fight.  Being able to (by default) see as
far as you'd expect would mean guards would be able to see fights.

If you stick with current room philosphy you could do what was discussed
with regards to protecting newbies from getting slaughtered, namely by
making a guard leap into the fray, but that can easily be abused.

Maddy