[MUD-Dev] Guilds & Politics [was Affecting

Koster Koster
Wed Dec 10 15:38:53 CET 1997

On Wednesday, December 10, 1997 7:20 AM, Ola Fosheim=20
Gr=F8stad[SMTP:olag at ifi.uio.no] wrote:
> Mike Sellers <mike at online-alchemy.com> wrote:
> >boy."  The most powerful, aggressive ones I've seen have been=20
lawyers,
> >accountants, or moms -- and clearly, while most PKers are men (not=20
just my
> >opinion, I know of unpublished research on this), the most
> >aggressive/heartless are women.  That was something of a surprise=20
to me.

> How on earth do you measure "The most aggressive/heartless"?=20
 Anyway,
> it doesn't apply if you yourself view the game as chess.  Playing
> chess doesn't make your motives "heartless"?  My personal belief is
> that the most "agressive/heartless" view the game as a chesslike
> strucuture, and thus believe that being "agressive/heartless" is
> playing the game "right".

I find both points to be correct in my experience. Most are indeed=20
male players (and I know this from knowing the male players=20
personally), a surprising number of them turned out to be lawyers,=20
including the most aggressive one I ever had to deal with as an=20
admin.

In addition, Ola is quite right in that they were the ones who most=20
clearly saw the mud environment as a game, not a society.

Lastly, yes, the female players did tend to get personal over the=20
issues more often. :P This may have been the peculiar circumstances of=20
a playerbase that knew itself quite well, however.

-Raph