[MUD-Dev] Guilds & Politics [was Affecting

Wed Dec 10 14:52:26 CET 1997

Mike Sellers <mike at online-alchemy.com> wrote:
>boy."  The most powerful, aggressive ones I've seen have been lawyers,
>accountants, or moms -- and clearly, while most PKers are men (not just my
>opinion, I know of unpublished research on this), the most
>aggressive/heartless are women.  That was something of a surprise to me.

How on earth do you measure "The most aggressive/heartless"?  Anyway,
it doesn't apply if you yourself view the game as chess.  Playing
chess doesn't make your motives "heartless"?  My personal belief is
that the most "agressive/heartless" view the game as a chesslike
strucuture, and thus believe that being "agressive/heartless" is
playing the game "right".  I guess you'll find that some people not
used to computers as a medium will neglect the social side of it,
because they view this as being "sick", or socially inapt or
something...  Maybe trying to prove to themself that they are not
playing the game to fullfill their social needs, but to play "chess".

Anyway, the worst abuse is of course not playerkilling (althought the
most visible), but to be persistantly tracking and annoying one
particular person.  Any insight is welcome.

(sidenote: gender is invisible in muds, don't trust names, or accounts)

Ola.