[MUD-Dev] Guilds & Politics [was Affecting the World]

Wed Dec 10 14:52:17 CET 1997

Marian Griffith <gryphon at iaehv.nl> wrote:

>It should worry any implementer of a mud that the action of one deranged
>mind can drive out other players who contribute far more to the game. In
>this respect I strongly disagree with Bartle that 'killers' have a place
>in a balanced mud.

Actually, I think the Bartle article is too simplistic and flawed in
many respects.  Although social engineering is interesting by itself,
it can hardly be accounted for in a simlple (an again in my opinion
flawed) 2 by 2 scheme, with some normative rules (or prescriptive or
whatever).  However, an external threat can make group identities
stronger, and the virtual life more intense.  A few unlawful
powerhungry random killers can in this sense be valuable, especially
to powerhungry lawful players, but only if there is room for revenge
from the society.

Ola.