[MUD-Dev] Guilds & Politics

Koster Koster
Wed Dec 10 13:30:46 CET 1997

On Tuesday, December 09, 1997 3:45 PM, Adam
Wiggins[SMTP:nightfall at user1.inficad.com] wrote:
> [Koster, Raph:]
> > Both UO and M59 do this, via code mechanisms to attempt to
evaluate
> > the behavior of players. Various increasingly severe consequences
> > start to pile up on the player as they cross invisible lines. In
UO's
> > case it goes something like, NPCs treat you worse, players do too
> > since they can see your "reputation" stat (relative to theirs, to
be
> > picky). Then shopkeepers refuse you service, guards start to
harass
> > you, players start to kill you on sight to pump up their
reputation,
> > and lastly you are refused entrance to towns, guards kill you on
> > sight, and players run from you screaming.
>
> Heh, reminds me vaguely of prestige on Legend.
> ObPokeFunAtLegend: So tell me, can their reputations up faster by
holding
> piles of shit while they fight? :)

It's like a hypertrophied prestige a la Legend, sorta, yes. Though
it's interesting to note that notoriety started as merely that--a
handle for NPC AI to play off of--and has evolved into a far broader
(and therefore clunkier) social control mechanism, largely because of
the pressures of players.

Who then hate it, of course. :) Currently it's running (according to a
player run poll) around 17% who wish it didn't exist in the game.

But naturally, there are lots of Legend concepts in UO. There could
hardly NOT be, I'd think. ;)

ObClarificationForNewbiesSinceNewbieIntegrationIsABigIssueTheseDays:

Legend, aka LegendMUD, mud.sig.net port 9999, website also at that
address. A noble yet in many ways failed experiment with classless
systems, one of the first Diku-derived muds with integrated script
system (predated Mobprogs by a few months), has various other notable
features that frequently get it cited for one reason or another in
discussions on mud design. (Hope I'm not blowing my own horn too much
here. BTW, I'd like to see the FAQ or whatever include a list of
frequently cited muds and why!)

Why it relates to UO, aka Ultima Online: because many of the core team
from Legend were recruited to do UO by Origin.

-Raph