[MUD-Dev] Guilds & Politics [was Affecting the World]

Wed Dec 10 00:32:47 CET 1997

Adam Wiggins <nightfall at user2.inficad.com> wrote:
[...]
>> > I recall M59 users using external programs for chatting as well.
[...]
>Yup.  I belong(ed) to a clan on Arctic known as the Tarsis Shriners.  It's
>been in existance for about five years now, and has its own mailing list,
>web site (access is restricted to clan members), and there is usually a Shriner
>group which exists 24 hours a day on Arctic, with folks joining up as they log
>on (you can group anyone that is following any member of the group, so they
>only have to follow the first Shriner they see) and others leaving the group
>as they log off.  Usually this 'group' is actually nowhere near each other -
>it just provides a nice little private channel so that the clan members can
>talk to each other quickly and easily.  This both increases the closeness of the
>clan members (since they are always in contact when online) and makes it appear
>to others that the clan is a single, coordinated entity - ie, you mess with one
>lone member and others show up seemingly instantly.

Interesting, I'm not familiar with "Arctic".  I've got some
...counting... four questions.

Do you have access to the same functionality within "Arctic" (which I am
not familiar with)?

Would you have used the external chat program if you could get the same
functionality within the game?

Why? Why Not?

Ola.