[MUD-Dev] Fear of magic (was:Usability and interface)

Sauron dlove at kusd.kusd.edu
Tue Dec 9 18:08:08 CET 1997

Vadim Tkachenko wrote:

> coder at ibm.net wrote:
> >
> > On 09/11/97 at 06:22 PM, "Jon A. Lambert" <jlsysinc at ix.netcom.com> said:
> > >On  9 Nov 97 at 11:00, Marian Griffith wrote:

[snip various comments on player/npc/monster powers]

> Why reducing? Lets' consider:
>
> Q: What is a difference between a monster and NPC?
> A: None, except that NPC is apparently is able to talk and [pretend to]
> express other sign of intelligence (which presumes a different level of
> hostility, too).
>
> Do you consider a dragon a monster or NPC? In according to fantasy
> books, dragons are highly intelligent and can talk many languages...

In my experience, most NPC's have been incredibly dull-witted and tended
to attack first and ask questions later. Sure it's easier to code buy
you lose realism (internal) when you have the all mighty and wise sage
sitting there saying the same meaningless garble over and over and over.

> Q: What is a difference between a PC and NPC?
> A: None, except that NPC is being controlled by the computer, and PC by
> the player (which is not true in some MUDs when the player is offline).
>
> Conclusion: NPC == PC == monster, to some extent.
> By the way, if you look at that from the implementation point of view,
> you'll find the structure greatly simplified - why, I've recently seen
> some RPG product, in which the NPC and Monster classes weren't even
> derived from a common ansector!
>
> All you need to do is just attach the different behavior control
> adapters - and then, a situation is possible when, say, admin is able to
> take control over some NPC/monster and RP it...

This very situation (admin taking control of NPC) is going to be
essential in my MU*. With the fact that unless we have some extremely
talented players who are great at RP, it will be up to the admin to
initiate tinyplots usually involoving the infamous people in the realm.

For a quick overview of my world (as is now) there will be a number of
factions, some opposing, some allied, some neutral, all of which have
their own agendas. Players can either cooperate with a given group,
remain neutral, or go around double-crossing everyone if they wish. So
say I want to start a war between group A and group B and want a player
viewable reason. So I take the great wizard Whomever (who was hired by
Prince Anonymous) and attack King Whatshisname causing a war between the
wizard's and Prince's combined forces against the King's. The King
defeated, the wizard then kills the prince and takes over his kingdom as
well. The players are the everyday citizens/soldiers/gov't officials who
end up dying for this war. Of course the real twist goes in when General
PC gets fed up and attacks his leader the wizard Whomever which upsets
the entire balance of power in the world. (of course General PC is
usually going to have to have some special help in order to accomlish
this, which tends to be done through admin authorization).

-Sauron