[MUD-Dev] Guilds & Politics [was Affecting the World]

Matt Chatterley root at mpc.dyn.ml.org
Tue Dec 9 08:11:58 CET 1997

On Mon, 8 Dec 1997, Ling wrote:

> On Sun, 7 Dec 1997, Matt Chatterley wrote:
> > On Sun, 7 Dec 1997, Richard Woolcock wrote:
>
> > > CHECKUSER BubbaMUD KaVir
> > > Searching....found mudder KaVir:
> > > Real name: Richard Woolcock
> > > Age: 22
> > > Occupation: Software Engineer
> > > Other Aliases: Khang, Kynak, Sharlin, Rivak, Koreth.
> > > Mudding style: Strategy-PK/roleplay.
> > > Offence rating: 34%
> > > Spam level: 11%
> > > Snoop factor: 20%
> > > Crash rating: 12%
> > > Logworthy? No.
> > > Suitability for BubbaMUD: 84% - Highly suitable.
> >
> > Hah. It'd certainly be an interesting experiment. :P Anyone actually fancy
> > trying this? ;)
>
> I for one would like to see it implemented in some form or another.  All
> it needs is two muds to broadcast they're using a system such as this.
> Then a few other muds with open minded administrators should follow suit.
> Just post on usenet/mud connector.  Avalanche...

[Snip intelligent discourse]

Technically speaking for the moment, the best way to do this is with a
server (perhaps a run-alone C/C++/Java/Perl/god-knows-what program, OR a
server running on MudOS or something else even), which stores the data and
accepts connections from muds wishing to update information about a user
or query a user.

To avoid networking problems killing the network, several servers could be
set up, and each could maintain the same information (with a basic
communication between them being used to ensure they both carry the same
information).

This is probably better than a peer-to-peer system, since data on a user
can come from many sources, and gives muds the option on saving the data
locally or not.

Socially speaking, it seems like a fun experiment.

Regards,
	-Matt Chatterley
	ICQ: 5580107
"I shall never believe that God plays dice with the world." -Einstein