[MUD-Dev] Re: BUILDERS: Ferries

Jon A. Lambert jlsysinc at ix.netcom.com
Tue Dec 9 01:08:42 CET 1997

On  8 Dec 97 at 5:30, Ling wrote:

> A more refined version involves feeding it all into a computer to simulate
> geography, warts and all.  But really, I think it is quite an overkill
> going through all that coding effort to evolve a single map.  Then,
> opinions differ.

Not sure where this came from (ftp.mpg.net perhaps).  It's a fairly small
and simple program that generates rather nice looking fractal maps in GIF
format.  It should run on DOS or *NIX.
If anyone is interested, I can E-mail it to you.

The following is cut from the read.me file:
--cut--
Planet2d.zip
Author: Jouni Aro <jaro at hut.fi>
This one released in late December 1993

This package contains a small planet-creator. It calculates maps of
random planets. So you can use it for example for making your own
fantasy world.

The algorithm is based on some fractal math, and it is written
by Torben Mogensen <torbenm at diku.dk>, so if you have questions about
it it may be better ask him. I used to have his earlier version
that used floating point operations and it used to be real slow.
Now he has improved the code; changed from floating point to integer
math and made some other enhancements as well. It used to take
several hours from my 386 to make a VGA-sized map, which
will now be ready in few minutes.
--cut--

--
Jon A. Lambert
"Everything that deceives may be said to enchant" - Plato