[MUD-Dev] Modeling spells/skills as collections of affects

Jeff Kesselman jeffk at tenetwork.com
Sun Aug 31 22:35:00 CEST 1997

At 09:59 PM 8/31/97 PST8PDT, you wrote:
>> Date:          Sun, 31 Aug 1997 20:18:19 PST8PDT
>> From:          Jeff Kesselman <jeffk at tenetwork.com>
>> At 06:41 PM 8/31/97 PST8PDT, Brain Peirce wrote:
>> >In the codebases I've seen thus far, spells and skills are largely
>> >hardcoded.  I would like to implement a system where they were instead
>> >parameterized and stored in the mud's database.
>>
>> Heh. The borken record says "Youv'e just defined the hero System.  lost
>> infinite colelction of effects created from a base set of "operations". You
>> migth want to loo kat it if you haven't yet.  If nthoign else it will save
>
>Sounds great, any urls or ftp addys? or a file name to search for?
>Thanks

Ther is a URL for "Hero Games" the publisher but I dont think youl lfind
much there. If you have a good RPG game store that doenst mind browsing, go
down and look for a section for hero games (last published by Iron Crowne I
believe) and look through it.

The Hero System is a gernic system that a numerb fo agmes are then buitl on
top of. The most common and easiest oen to find is Champios, and the hero
rules are incodued  in that.  Otherwise theuya re availabel as aseperate
book.  if tyou can fidn it yo umigth want to glance at Fantasy Hero which
is the Fantasy RPG world book that gives an exampel of how to build a
fantasy game usign teh core system.

JK
Jeff Kesselman
Snr. Game Integration Engineer