[MUD-Dev] Hard Sci-fi muds was Character evolution

Jeff Kesselman jeffk at tenetwork.com
Sun Aug 31 20:16:30 CEST 1997

At 06:36 PM 8/31/97 PST8PDT, Brian peirce wrote:
>Hopefully this spin-off thread will continue so I've renamed it to
>avoid stepping on the ongoing Character evolution thread.  It is
>a discussion of problems inherent in the design of a hard sci-fi mud,
>this post deals with the problems of game universe complexity.
>
>> Date:          Sun, 31 Aug 1997 16:16:13 PST8PDT
>> From:          Jeff Kesselman <jeffk at tenetwork.com>
>> At 04:06 PM 8/31/97 PST8PDT, Brian peirce wrote:
>
>Note: Choice C is unrestricted pc interstellar travel via starship.
>
>> >Choice C seems at first to merely be a design problem, but assuming
>> >you solve the design problem of generating 'realistic' worlds/systems
>> >randomly, you now have a storage problem...  your universe file will
>> >become _HUGE_.
>>
>> This seems liek a classic pseudo random "virtual room" problem as we've
>> discussed many times.  If your world is egenrated off of a pseudo rando
>> mseeded from, say, the interstelalr "coords" of the world then it doesnt
>> ahve to be stored, it can be recreated at any time. Instead justs tore the
>> lcoatiosn of moveable obejcts dropped on or mvoed aroudn that world.
>
>Assuming that the entire (for lack of a better word) section was
>generated at the same time and the random generator was unique to the
>generating thread, yes the storage of the seed or starting state of
>the generator along with the set of player affected objects in the
>section would suffice.   However  I fear  that we are merely applying a
>constant divisor to a problem that has no upper bound.

Hmm yo uare sassumoing I THINK that enw seeds get generated and need to be
stored as "existing".  Iw as thinking more the idea that givn ANY spatial
coord you do a first pseudo random off that seed and sue that value to
determine IF there is a planet there, then you do subsequent psuedo randoms
on teh same seed to populate it.

The existance/nonexistance of the planet is thus implivit in the coord and
needs no planetary catalog.

Does that sovle your problem?

JK

Jeff Kesselman