[MUD-Dev] Character evolution

Matt Chatterley root at mpc.dyn.ml.org
Sun Aug 31 10:40:12 CEST 1997

On Sat, 30 Aug 1997, Marian Griffith wrote:

> On Wed 27 Aug, Jeff Kesselman wrote:
> > At 08:09 PM 8/27/97 PST8PDT, you wrote:
>
> > >Harassment is a significant problem on many muds.  What ways have others
> > >on this mailing list found to prevent it and deal with it?
>
> I think that if more than 3 people muzzle the same player that should be
> a sign for the staff to seriously follow (snoop) that player for a time.
> Another thing that might be helpfull is to give players a limited access
> to a log command.  I.e. if somebody is harassing then the victim can log
> whatever that person says and does in his or her presence. This will not
> stop the action immediately  but it gives some hard evidence if it comes
> to a hearing  about the harasser's actions.  Of course it should be made
> very clear to the players that logging somebody else's actions is an ac-
> cusation of harassment and that false accusations are no more acceptable
> than harassment itself is.

My take on this is a 'three strikes' approach. All players will have
access to a logging command (currently called 'harass', but probably to be
renamed to something more intuitive).

This will log everything the player sees, hears (and types, to tell if
attacks are truly unprovoked).

Suitable members of staff are notified of harass logs that are in
existance, and will move them to another directory for review by a panel
of two or three. If someone is deemed to be out of order (either
participant), they will be warned.

Two warnings, and on the third strike, you're out.

Regards,
	-Matt Chatterley
	http://user.itl.net/~neddy/index.html
"Speak softly and carry a big stick." -Theodore Roosevelt