[MUD-Dev] Re:

clawrenc at cup.hp.com clawrenc at cup.hp.com
Wed Aug 27 15:37:35 CEST 1997

In <3.0.2.32.19970821122620.00b4d3f0 at mail.tenetwork.com>, on 08/21/97
   at 12:40 PM, Jeff Kesselman <jeffk at tenetwork.com> said:

>At 10:05 AM 8/21/97 PST8PDT, Caliban Tiresias Darklock wrote:

>>Do NOT under ANY circumstances build rape code into your game. It's just
>>not an amusing option, and can have some serious repercussions for
>>survivors of such incidents.

...deletia...

>We are talking a  VERY personal invasion of privacy on a
>psychological level, and roleplay by definitio nis a psychologoical
>exercise.

Given a non-immersive RP game, if necessary a GOP game or at least a
game with little concentration on RP, would your position change?

>Having said this I wil lmake mention that in pen and paper I have
>actually played through being a rape survivior, and I learned a rgeat
>deal from it BUT I already udnerstood the absics of what it meant,
>the judge was acutally a rape recovery counselor for a time, AND we
>discussed the plot element and agrreed to see it through BEFORE we
>implemented it.

Would you assert that a rape dramatised in a MUD bears anything near
the magnitude of the strength of effect of a rape IRL?

Note: I'm not trolling here.  I've already posted my current position
on the area.  I'm interested in divining the underpinnings to other's
reactions.  My suspicion is that the anathem is due to the relation of
a virtual incident to the horror a RL incident, and that the virtual
incident in fact has little emotive impact in itself due to its
diversion from RL (ie virtual-ness).

J C Lawrence                           Internet: claw at null.net
(Contractor)                           Internet: coder at ibm.net
---------------(*)               Internet: clawrenc at cup.hp.com