[MUD-Dev] Character evolution

Jon A. Lambert jlsysinc at ix.netcom.com
Thu Aug 21 15:11:42 CEST 1997

> Caliban Tiresias Darklock <caliban at darklock.com> said....
> Jon Lambert wrote:
> >
> > Here are some random thoughts/questions on the matter.  Would liasons
> > be possible between PCs only or combination of PC/NPC?
>
> I just want to make one comment here.
>
> Do NOT under ANY circumstances build rape code into your game. It's just
> not an amusing option, and can have some serious repercussions for
> survivors of such incidents.

My initial thoughts were negative on this.  Yet Nathan had piqued my
curiosity with questions on whether I was implementing a "deus
charis" concept.  Hopefully I got the latin right there.  Basically
it is the forced attention/attraction of mortals by deities.  This
shows up frequently in the Greek Mythos.  The rape of Cytheria, etc.
It is also not uncommon in many darker settings like the Lovecraftian
Mythos with Shub-Niggurath and other demonic beings.

Your "Do NOT under ANY circumstances" only encourages me.  Severe
violations of social standards/political correctness, yada, yada
appeal to me.  A recently arrived and departed(?) list member
sort of touched of some of these:

Brandon Van Every said, "I have a somewhat different interest in
	MUDs... There are a lot of accepted conventions about how
	people and objects should behave on MUDs, mirroring the way people
	behave in the real world.  I'm interested more in stepping through
	the mirror, and seeing what's on the other side. This can turn a
	lot of MUDding's "sacred cows" upside down..."

While he was speaking of something perhaps more bizarre, (probably
something dark lurking in JC Lawrence's mud world ;P) I'm looking
at the mirror as a portal to a fantasy or ancient world with all
its attached moral/social baggage.

After all mine is intended as a role-playing environment and
one should be prepared to fit in with an ancient world where ones
views on slavery, human rights, treatment of women, other races,
religion and sexual preference may well be alien and provoke strong
OOC personal reaction.

Now don't take this as a personal reflection of my own morals which
are often extremely at odds with my historical world theme.

> Anyone for a 'borrow money from parents' subsystem, with attendant
> requirements that you go to dinner and write or visit more often? ;)

I'm thinking along the lines of familial obligations like
maintenance of lands, livestock, feudal ties, arranged marriages,
political alliances, stewardship, etc.  Borrowing money is certainly
a possibility too.

Jon Lambert