[MUD-Dev] Character evolution

Adam Wiggins nightfall at user1.inficad.com
Tue Aug 19 20:24:11 CEST 1997

>    at 05:52 AM, Matt Chatterley <root at mpc.dyn.ml.org> said:
> >With 1s=1m time, say I get my hair cut every RL month (4 weeks, 28
> >days, 672 hours, 40320 minutes, that'd be 40320 game minutes = 40320
> >RL seconds = 672 minutes = 11 hours, or did I go off the rails
> >somewhere there?), I'd have to cut it regularly in game. If you keep
> >long hair, you could trim it far less frequently. You could say
> >"automatically trim hair each morning to stay at X length(ish)" for
> >those who wish to negate their personal control to an automaton.
>
> Not comments, but observations:
>
>   One of the guys I work with gets his har cut one a year, typically
> in July.  He remains very recognisable year-round.

Of course, this depends on the actual hair length to begin with.
I recently got about four inches trimmed off (due to constant nagging
from my girlfriend and other females about my terrible split ends) and
no one batted an eye.  It's the first haircut I've had in over a year.
Of course, since 4" is a fairly small portion of the overall length, it's
not too noticable.  If I had 4" cut off and my total hair length was 4",
you can bet I'd get plenty of double-takes.

Also it's a combo of all the factors - facial hair, hairstyle, cleanliness
of the skin, kempt-ness (is that a word?) of the facial and/or cranial hair,
clothing, cariage, gait, and so forth.  In addition it's the difference
is these features since you last saw someone that really matters - John Muir
shaving his head and face bald will be a lot less recognizable than your
average clean-shaven joe with the GQ haircut doing the same.