[MUD-Dev] Re: Character evolution

clawrenc at cup.hp.com clawrenc at cup.hp.com
Tue Aug 19 14:44:55 CEST 1997

In <199708190134.SAA08207 at pc4.zennet.com>, on 08/18/97
   at 07:54 PM, "Brandon J. Rickman" <ashes at pc4.zennet.com> said:

>Pretend we have a game where character alignment isn't just based on
>how many good/evil creatures we have killed, but on
>character-character  interactions.  A good character gives change to
>the beggar on the corner, evil characters kick the beggar.

Outside of the fact that I dislike the idea of the game tracking any
form of "alignment" concept, I'd also note that giving money to a
beggar is an ambiguous action.  Yes, it may help the beggar, but it
can also be argued to validate the profession of beggar as a trade
(and a trade it is) if not to actively encourage it.  Is the presence
of beggars a Good thing?  Which holds precedencs: the health of the
beggar as an individual, or the the "health" of your social population
(non-)affected by beggars?

Further note that quite possibly the most successful ever campaigns to
eradicate leprosy was centred on the wholesale slaughter and removal
of beggars.

>There are a few other things
>implied here...and an attempt
>to use the lying skill.