[MUD-Dev] C&C and Event Rescheduling

Jeff Kesselman jeffk at tenetwork.com
Mon Aug 18 22:40:57 CEST 1997

At 07:52 PM 8/18/97 PST8PDT, JCL wrote:
>In <3.0.2.32.19970815094745.00890a10 at mail.tenetwork.com>, on 08/15/97
>   at 10:49 AM, Jeff Kesselman <jeffk at tenetwork.com> said:

>>Problem with thsi in the real world is it favors LPBs (low ping
>>bastards) over those witha  lsower connection, and bots over humans.
>
>Yes, it favours the faster connections.  My general answer to this is
>that the answer is to design the game system to not rely on user
>speed.  As I tend to favour what many here call "chess-like" game

Hmm interesting.  Without regualrizing speed making the system immune to
speed as a factor wopuld seem to me to be quite a challenge. In any real
time system I've seen reaction-time is fairly critical.

>Minor supporting notes: I don't intend for a repetitive action to
>*ever* sustainably be profitable.  While a little bit more difficlt I

Not sure thsi helps.  Have yo useen the Quake aim-bot?  It doesnt generate
reptitive actions, what it does is lock and fire yourt weaponms for yo
uwith astounding reaction time and accuracy...  you still "pilot" the player.

>The bot comment I count as an express failure in game design.  Any
>game which can be profitably automated via a bot is a flawed game
>design.  I am not interested in producing games where humans are
>merely less effective bots.

See the above. Doesnt have to be either/or. Tehre are plenty exampels of
"cyborg" approaches that are quite successful ina variety of games.

JK
Jeff Kesselman
Snr. Game Integration Engineer
TEN -- The Total Entertainment Network -- www.ten.net