[MUD-Dev] Spellcaster, or Waving Hands

clawrenc at cup.hp.com clawrenc at cup.hp.com
Fri Aug 15 15:30:07 CEST 1997

In <9708150011.AA27888 at divcom.umop-ap.com>, on 08/14/97
   at 05:24 PM, "Jon Leonard" <jleonard at divcom.umop-ap.com> said:

>An approach I've been considering to this kind of problem is to have
>all actions take some time, and be "in progress" while they are
>happening.
>Similarly, "west" really means "start walking westwards, and stop
>upon reaching something interesting"
>It limits how quickly players can move between areas to a reasonable
>speed. It changes descriptions from "Boffo is here." to "Boffo is
>walking northwards." Players can be interrupted in the middle of
>actions, and interrupt their own actions.

Good point.  I've got to think about this.  It would change the entire
character of motion.  It really does seem essential for any sort of
coordinate cased system.  I suspect that all motion will actually
become, "move towards", "stop", "turn towards", or "turn away from
right/left" in form.

>Also, I have a dedicated network connection to my home computers, and
>if anyone on this list wants a home for an interesting game, it's
>available. (Unfortunately the link is only 28.8 -- It's out of my own
>pocket.)

Yeah, that's what I'm in the middle of investigating (the new modem
should be in next week).  I just found a local provider that will do
dedicated v.34 for $65/month.  ISDN is proving more tricky as I've yet
to find an ISP not in Texas who will do Centrex 2B ISDN for less than
a small fortune (tho I may finally be on the trail).

J C Lawrence                           Internet: claw at null.net
(Contractor)                           Internet: coder at ibm.net
---------------(*)               Internet: clawrenc at cup.hp.com