[MUD-Dev] "short" Introductory Message (fwd)

clawrenc at cup.hp.com clawrenc at cup.hp.com
Thu Aug 14 14:32:32 CEST 1997

In <Pine.GSO.3.96.970814035256.31F-100000 at dryslwyn>, on 08/13/97
   at 07:58 PM, Martin Keegan <martin at cam.sri.com> said:

>On Tue, 12 Aug 1997 clawrenc at cup.hp.com wrote:

>> In <Pine.GSO.3.96.970803191909.11347G-100000 at dryslwyn>, on 08/03/97
>>    at 11:39 AM, Martin Keegan <martin at cam.sri.com> said:
>>
>> >Nothing. For that player, the game is over. That is NOT to say that
>> >it's badly designed, nor that this isn't a huge problem. I spot an
>> >assumed orthodoxy here.
>>
>> Yes, much the like assumed orthodoxy that MUD users want to play
>> heros.  Nightmare provides a perfect case in point to demonstrate the
>> fallacy of that one.

>The fishermen class? Yes, that's cool. There ARE people who want to
>sit around all day fishing, though I'm surprised that they like to do
>it virtually.

Yeppirs.  Per Reese they sit and fish _and_ tell stories.

>I've been thinking a bit recently about what different players get
>out of muds. I'll start a new thread on that, called Beyond Zork.

<squirm>  You realise that with topic names like that I am going to
have kill you?

>> >Which "Legend" is everyone referring to?
>>
>> mud.aus.sig.net 9999

>Ok. I'll check it out.

Hit the web site.  Also check out the skills document and other
archives.  They've had some good stuff there.

>> >Hmmm ... I smell the festering seeds of my next controversial
>> >research  paper here ... :)
>>
>> Fertilise, fertilise, fertilise.

>?

Make 'em seeds grow.