NPC Ecologies [was 'New to this mailing list']

Greg Munt greg at uni-corn.demon.co.uk
Tue Aug 12 18:48:26 CEST 1997

On Mon, 11 Aug 1997, Richard Woolcock wrote:

> If you ARE interested, then I don't
> mind opening a few of my ideas up for criticism (anyone else coded
> mudsex, with the chance of pregnancy and child birth?).

Mudsex, pregnancy and childbirth initially provoke the 'Why? What value
does it have?' sort of questions.

However, it is when you consider dynamic muds (such as a those that a
number of us are working on) that grow, change and evolve *without*
player intervention, that these sorts of things start to become real issues.

I first became interested in NPC ecologies when I read a post to this
list concerning an orc society, which was concerned not only with
different types of orcs (including breeders and nobles), but with the
births/deaths of the race, and even its social/power structure (the
system even allowed for PCs to 'join in' the competition to become the
next king/leader of the orcs). I contacted Batzing, since I knew he had
an interest in ecologies also (and appears to have studied them in
reasonable depth), and he expanded on this by discussing food chains, an
'energy pyramid', and other related things.

Batzing's main concern (although his thoughts may be constrained by the
LP mo(u)ld here) was the memory required to support numerous ecologies,
encompassing births/deaths, a food chain, and a race-specific
society/power structure. Admittedly, it does concern me too, although I
have not looked into it in much detail - certainly not enough to be able
to judge whether this would become a problem.

Does this sort of thing interest anyone else? (I don't believe I've seen
any real discussion of this issue here.)

    "I want to be imp on a MU*!!! Where do I get the code for CircleMUD???"
  "I have great ideas for a new mud, but if I use stock code I'll be flamed."
        These are the two extremes. Can the pro-scratchers go too far?