[MUD-Dev] "short" Introductory Message (fwd)

clawrenc at cup.hp.com clawrenc at cup.hp.com
Tue Aug 12 14:10:51 CEST 1997

In <Pine.GSO.3.96.970803191909.11347G-100000 at dryslwyn>, on 08/03/97
   at 11:39 AM, Martin Keegan <martin at cam.sri.com> said:

>On Wed, 2 Jul 1997 clawrenc at cup.hp.com wrote:

>> In <Pine.GSO.3.96.970628042112.7843O-100000 at tay>, on 06/27/97
>>    at 08:36 PM, Martin Keegan <martin at cam.sri.com> said:
>>
>> >On Wed, 25 Jun 1997 clawrenc at cup.hp.com wrote:

>> Precisely.  Just what is there for a player to do once he's made Wiz
>> on a standard MUD other than thumb twiddle or torture the local
>> inhabitants?

>Nothing. For that player, the game is over. That is NOT to say that
>it's badly designed, nor that this isn't a huge problem. I spot an
>assumed orthodoxy here.

Yes, much the like assumed orthodoxy that MUD users want to play
heros.  Nightmare provides a perfect case in point to demonstrate the
fallacy of that one.

>Which "Legend" is everyone referring to?

mud.aus.sig.net 9999

>Ok. But it's really depressing for us scratchers to have to hear
>unmodified Diku being passed off as original. It's demoralising.

Thou art a dino.

>> To an extent Bartle was right: don't worry about losing off players,
>> there are always more.  The playing population refreshes itself,
>> fractionally, every year.  (I'd be *really* interested in a study on
>> what that fraction was.)  As the years pass that fraction accumulates

>Hmmm ... I smell the festering seeds of my next controversial
>research  paper here ... :)

Fertilise, fertilise, fertilise.

>> >In recent discussions with EdFromO...
>
>He's now referring to "its/it's" as "Advanced You're".

I'll confess to knowing and largely ignoring the difference as my own
minor kick towards correcting Englush structure.

J C Lawrence                           Internet: claw at null.net
(Contractor)                           Internet: coder at ibm.net
---------------(*)               Internet: clawrenc at cup.hp.com