[MUD-Dev] porting question

Sun Aug 10 17:33:24 CEST 1997

Forgive me for tapping this group for something not directly MUD-related,
but it is certainly indirectly MUD-related. I'll try to be brief.

Anyone know much of the details of UNIX shared libraries and Windows DLL's?

I use an Amiga shared library currently, so that multiple agent programs
for telnet connections can share the bulk of the code. My shared library
is passed a structure for each client, which contains variables that only
the library understands, for that client, and a whole bunch of function
pointers by which the shared library code can call out to the individual
calling programs to get things done that it needs (sending messages, printing
stuff, allocating memory, etc.) How does that work with DLL's and on various
UNIX's? When you use a DLL, can callouts from it come back to your
main program? Does each user get a private dataspace, or does each user
have to provide space like I currently do?

Even though I'm not currently porting, just translating, I want to know
whether or not I can chuck all the indirect function calls, and just
call out via fixed names.

Thanks.

--
Chris Gray   cg at ami-cg.GraySage.Edmonton.AB.CA