[MUD-Dev] Reputation, was butthead features

Jeff Kesselman jeffk at tenetwork.com
Wed Aug 6 17:46:47 CEST 1997

At 08:04 AM 8/6/97 PST8PDT, you wrote:
ous as to how you plan to implement the actual parsing more
>than the actual character attribute ramifications (I took those as a
>given).
>
>Won't players just come up with new code words to say the same things
>as fast as they're deemed "nasty"?

In short...

If I thought they were on this lsit I wouldn't be talkign about it.
MANy things effect reputatio nand the actual numerical value is hidden so
terhe are no easy 'hooks' to fidn out what is effecting your reputation.
Staff will ONLy be told that "anti-social behavior' triggers it and no more.

ANY preprogrammed system can and wil be abused by users... we reognize this
and
appraoch the genral problem threee ways:
(1) Info hiding, as already mentioned. What can't be figured otu cant be
abused.

(2) Staff influence. In addition to the preprogrammed triggers, staff have
the power to through infamy points at users.  Ofcoruse ALL such staf pwoers
are logged and monitored by system admins for abuse.

(3) Actvoie maintainence. We dont expect thsi to ever "run itself".  Aprt
of the reason for usoign a Cold based system rather then a low level C++
coded system is to allow for maximum flexability in terms of tuning,
additions, or outright re-writes of aprts of the system.

>something like "Hehheh, I squished 3 ants last night".
>
>How does the game tell the difference? Does it? Does it need to?

I don't believe it really needs to.  Any one comment has minimal impact,
its the pattern (and absuers ARE pattern creatrues) that ends up hurting you.

Actually, it goes a bit further then just parsing.  Ocne a trigger is
envc\counerted there is a % chance it wil actually effect your infamy based
 on location (in the city, the walls have ears) and numerb of PC or actual
NPC witnesses present

JK
Jeff Kesselman
Snr. Game Integration Engineer