[MUD-Dev] Worlds VS Games, etc {was GMuds, UO}

Koster Koster
Tue Aug 5 11:04:00 CEST 1997

Catching up on posts finally...

On Wednesday, July 30, 1997 2:44 PM, Nathan
Yospe[SMTP:yospe at hawaii.edu] wrote:
> I've never bothered with economies, finding them far less important,
and
> far less interesting, than environments.
> [snip truly fascinating description of warzone game]

Wow, that's awesome. I'd classify it as sort of a different endeavor
than a typical mud... more like a stab at making a virtual reality
experience in a particular setting. You know how when VR is discussed
it's always very detailed settings that are limited in scale? That's
what's your system sounds like--the immersive selected experience--as
opposed to the broader strokes with less detail that are implied by
trying to support a wider range of settings. I think it's an equally
valid approach, and rather exciting.

> :We use a classless, levelless system. Skills atrophy from disuse.
It's
> :not to everyone's taste. It seems to be working, so far. Whether it
> :will retain the totally goal-oriented players is yet to be seen,
since
> :it does not provide a long string of milestones, but rather obliges
> :the player to create milestones for themselves at intervals.
>
> Sounds quite a bit like my own system. Are related skills
codependant?

Yes, there' a couple of mechanisms tying things together. Our stats
also atrophy and grow through usage and disuse... and skill success is
weighted based on related stats, atrophy occurs based partly on skills
that are related via stats, in there are also direct links, such as
musicianship being required for higher level musical skills, etc.

> The one I expect to
> be most popular is modelled as "BackStage", complete with "Dressing
Rooms"
> and "Makeup" (Dressing Rooms are character creation, makeup is
character
> _persona_ creation, where a history (past) and personality (which is
used
> for subconcious mannerisms - a bit of color, but sometimes actually
> relevant, in cases of being incited to anger, for example.)

I love the idea of unconscious mannerisms, of enforced roleplay, but
also think that it'll be of limited appeal. Those who wish to immerse
themselves in a different reality, in a different body, they'll love
it. The gamer with a narrower mindset will complain that it removes
control from them...

I said:
> :having a varied, evolving setting (even though it only
> :evolves in that "middle layer" of NPCs/creatures/economy)
encourages
> :roleplay, encourages exploration, encourages alternate styles of
> :achievement, and rewards it with changed circumstances rather than
> :with a milestone.

And Nathan replied:
> But it also set you up for disaster if you don't have either a way
> retain euilibrium, or to reset conditions. Say, for example, half
the game
> was burned down in riots. How long does it take the game to recover?
Or is
> there a mechanism for recovery? Or is there a "reset" switch to undo
the
> damage? Or is it impossible to burn half the game down?

We do have a regular old spawner system underneath everything. So the
game WILL "grow" back. However, I also view the riots and the
resultant difficult times as part of the game. It's a great reason to
have the tools for players to maintain an economy, because after a
disaster they caused, they can rebuild. Right now our economy is far
from balanced correctly, as shopkeepers run out of funds with which to
purchase items. Yet players have set themselves up in their shops as
an alternate economy. I view this as a great and wonderful thing. :)

Yes, we do limit to what extent you can burn the game down. Most of
the map proper is static.

> :The problem with "game" style design in a mud setting is that you
run
> :out of game. Games are finite. In a fiscal sense, you wanna keep
folks
> :around as long as possible, of course, to get their money, and the
> :more "infinite" the game is, the better. Remember that most mudders
> :only play for around 3-6 months, and even dinos tend to give up
after
> :2 years or so.
>
> Would having an infinite world alleviate this? I'm not entirely
sure.

I wasn't speaking of an infinite world, necessarily. I was referring
to the typical milestine setup of game-oriented muds. Since
achievement is measured in levels, when you run out of levels, the
game is "over." Likewise, with static quests and puzzles, static
"middle layers" of NPC behaviors, etc, the features are quickly
exhausted. Making these things dynamic and evolving drastically
extends the lifetime of the game, IMHO. The danger of course is that
elements be simplistic and repetitive. (A problem that UO hasn't
licked, btw).

> Some of the great ideas are mutually incompatible.

Always. :) But we can learn from all of 'em. :)

> (Love potion code, at least the version I coded to
> follow this, results in an inability to focus on anything else when
the
> subject of the potion is present in the room, and constant
"thoughts"
> about the subject, slipped in whenever a trigger (think eliza) pops
up.
> There are also penalties to the victims ability to carry out action
> against the subject.)

I gotta say, i LOVE your approach. :) I haven't heard of anyone else
working with this degree of character enforcement...

-Raph