[MUD-Dev] DESIGN: The purpose of MUDding?

Brandon Van Every vanevery at blarg.net
Fri Aug 1 10:25:54 CEST 1997

> From: Matt Chatterley <root at mpc.dyn.ml.org>
>
> You can have quite a few players hopping about over PPP without lagging
> hell FYI - my personal record is probably 10 on any kind of server, over
> 28.8 PPP, and on a P90 (NexGen) with 8 megs of ram on linux. This was not
> a limit because of resources - it was a limit because that was the amount
> of people who actually showed up at the same time.

Really?  Did you have to do anything "special" to achieve this?  Or did you
just start up some MUD server without any fuss whatsoever?  What server did
you use?  Do some servers have bottlenecks in them which would impede PPP
performance?

> How would you populate it? Perhaps by some sort of 'automatic' or
> 'multiple login' technique - or perhaps players would do it themselves.
If
> you put no restriction on multiple logins, players will probably start to
> use them at any rate - and anonymity adds an interesting edge to this.

Anonymity.  That's an interesting notion.  I wonder if partial anonymity is
a precondition to the worlds I imagine.  Most MUD taboos are about the fear
of your persona being subverted/destroyed.  Psychically, people really hate
it when you screw with their sense of self.  But no persona, no fear?

Cheers,
Brandon J. Van Every  <vanevery at blarg.net>      DEC Commodity Graphics
http://www.blarg.net/~vanevery                  Windows NT Alpha  OpenGL