[MUD-Dev] Re: Introduction

Sat Apr 26 11:12:19 CEST 1997

[Jon L:]
:Colossal Caves is much older.	I have a mainframe version (circa mid-70s).
:I suspect the programs are much older than this perhaps late 60's(?)
:
:If anyone is interested in looking at the source, I can it Email it to you.
:Its a collection of 4 programs, about 300k uncompressed.  The primary module
:is in PL/1 with a Fortran random number generator and 2 System370 assembler
:interfaces to I/O and something called Wylbur which predates my mainframe
:experience.   ;-)

There have been many versions. I *think* the first version was done on
a DEC PDP-20, but couldn't swear by it. The version I first played was
also on an IBM mainframe, and was PL/1. I had the source at one point, and
don't recall anything outside of the PL/1 (which looked strongly like it
had been translated from Fortran). I used that to implement a version of
it in the Six/Fant adventure system a friend and I did. I have the source
to that here on my Amiga, if anyone wants it (not that you could run it!)

--
Chris Gray   cg at ami-cg.GraySage.Edmonton.AB.CA