[MUD-Dev] Re: Introduction

clawrenc at cup.hp.com clawrenc at cup.hp.com
Thu Apr 24 09:31:04 CEST 1997

In <01II3A2VXDR699EFR1 at nova.wright.edu>, on 04/24/97
   at 10:45 PM, S001GMU at nova.wright.edu said:

>Date: Thu, 24 Apr 1997 08:44:19 +0000 (PST8PDT)
>From: Jamie Norrish <jamie at sans.vuw.ac.nz>

>>              I'm also a long-time devotee of Interactive Fiction
>>(games such as Zork and Colossal Cave) - I see MUDs as almost being a
>>cross between RPGs and IF, but of course a medium in its own right.

>Actually, the Interactive Fiction games that you mentioned were
>spinoffs of the original MUD1 from Essex.  Having never played MUD1
>or very much of Zork I don't know how similar they are, but my
>understanding is that most of the original MUDS were only multiplayer
>in that multiple ppl could be logged in at once, but each one played
>a seperate adventure...  kind of a Zork server or  something.

I played SX MUD.

Zork et al were based on the original Adventure and Caverns games, not
SX MUD.  They acutally ahve almost *no* realtion to the world of SX
MUD at all.

SX MUD was very much a multi-user realtime game (ie a real MUD), with
typically over 50 players on dialup lines of a weekend with another 20
or 30 on hard-wired terminals at Essex University.

J C Lawrence                           Internet: claw at null.net
(Contractor)                           Internet: coder at ibm.net
---------------(*)               Internet: clawrenc at cup.hp.com