[MUD-Dev] Re: Issues from the digests and Wout's list

Nathan Yospe yospe at hawaii.edu
Wed Apr 23 09:38:04 CEST 1997

On Tue, 22 Apr 1997, Ling wrote:

:What do you mean by 'indirect object'?

subject == self, direct object == target, indirect object == means.
ie club barney with a dead baby seal => s. == implied 'you', d.o. == the
repulsive dino, and i.d.o == enviromentalists' nightmare.

:About aliases:  Nathan said his system could do 'alias x shoot $target',
:how about expanding this to 'alias x shoot %1{$target}', where if an
:argument isn't given with x, $target is substituted in.

The syntaxt is different, but yes, you can default... still, leaving a
default target is unwise. Current protocol defaults to whoever hurt you
last if left empty.

:Another random thought:  How would you think players would respond if they
:were by default, oriental?  With a very low chance of not being so (if
:they chose human).  I've got a theme reason for this...

Not really sure on this... though, truth to be told, the vast majority of
the players on Singularity 1 were either part oriental or part polynesian,
usually both. Of course, that reflected the RL ethnicity of the players as
well, so I may have had a less than valid breakdown. (I'm from Hawaii.
Most of us here are racially mixed, and polynesian, oriental, and
caucasion split the blend 20/40/40... a lot of our players were from this
region.)

  /_  / / ) /_  /_) / ) /| /| / /\            First Light of a Nova Dawn
 /   / / \ /_  /_) / \ /-|/ |/ /_/            Final Night of a World Gone
Nathan F. Yospe - University of Hawaii Dept of Physics - yospe at hawaii.edu